Beauty & Essex
The Lower East Side is not a neighborhood that we associate with glamour, but Beauty & Essex, a 10,000 square foot semi-lounge, is one of the most elegant, chic spots in the city. Not that you would know this from its dilapidated façade or the guitar-strewn pawn shop that you must first pass through before encountering one of NYC's most beautiful rooms.
The dramatic main dining room has dove gray crescent moon banquettes opposite one another alongside the walls, perfect for observation. Appropriately, there are peacock feathers strewn about. Up a spiraling staircase that orbits a massive crystal chandelier is another lounge and dining area. The restaurant is of a piece with establishments like Buddakan, The Hurricane Club and The Stanton Social: warehouse-sized, deftly designed, geared toward going out and practically vibrating with trendiness – and surprisingly good. Chef Chris Santos serves a number of small plates meant for sharing, such as grilled cheese, smoked bacon and tomato soup dumplings and beer battered Maine lobster tacos. There are crostini, pastas and fish. The ingredients are top-notch and the preparations creative. Between the filigreed, visually striking ambience, the DJ's thumping music and the complimentary champagne in the ladies room, you'd be hard pressed not to have a great time at Beauty & Essex. Unless you're over 35.
146 Essex St.
(212) 614-0146 Mon-Fri, 5pm-1am; Sat-Sun, 11:30am-3pm, 5pm-1am
RECOMMENDED DISHES See All
- Lobster Tacos - beer battered Maine lobster, red cabbage slaw, jalapeno crema
- Grilled Cheese, Smoked Bacon & Tomato Soup Dumplings
- Fried Chicken Biscuit Bites - tobacco honey butter, red cabbage slaw
- Pork Belly BLT - ciabatta, mustard aioli, egg yolk
- Lobster "Mac & Cheese" - sicilian style bread crumbs
- Oven Braised Chicken Meatballs - sheeps milk ricotta, wild mushroom, truffle
- Beauty & Essex Burger - spicy roasted garlic aioli, beefsteak tomato, goat feta, crispy bbq fries
- Vanilla Beignets - raspberry jam
- Box of Doughnuts - vanilla beignets with chocolate hazelnut crème & raspberry jam