Aureole today is not your father’s Aureole. Charlie Palmer opened it in 1988 in a gorgeous, intimate townhouse on the Upper East Side. The restaurant exuded romance and class. In 2009, it was reopened in a sprawling, glitzy Vegas-like space near, appropriately, Times Square. The restaurant is uneven, but a properly ordered dinner can still rank among the finest in the city.
That’s not to say that you must necessarily eat high-brow. The restaurant’s burger, with white cheddar, apple-wood-smoked bacon and a pickled-ramp dressing together with some battered onion rings and papas fritas (French fries covered in grated Manchego cheese and bits of chorizo with a saffron aioli) is a classic dish. One of Palmer’s other signature dishes, a Canadian lobster tail and Berkshire pork belly has disappeared off the menu, hopefully to return. In the meantime, make do with a delicious Colorado lamb loin.
The restaurant’s relocation has resulted in an inevitable shift in clientele and ambiance. There has been an uptick in business and the bar has been given a more prominent location. Opt for the more subdued dining room in the rear of the restaurant, if possible. The double-height main room does have a few things to recommend it, however: an impressive view of 15,000 wine bottles in temperature-controlled on the mezzanine and, of course, the burger.
135 W. 42nd St.
New York (nr. Sixth Ave.)
212-319-1660 Mon-Fri, 11:45am-2:15pm, Sat-Sun, 5pm-10pm
- American (Nouveau)
- Best Bars
- Best Decor
- Best Wine Lists
- BYOB Corkage: $50; limited to 1 bottle per 2p/not on wine list
- Private Dining Room Bar Room: 75 seated, 160 standing Halo Room: 60 seated, 120 standing
- Tasting Menu 5 Course Tasting Menu: $118 5 Course Tasting Menu with Wine Pairings: $198 7 Course Tasting Menu: $148
RECOMMENDED DISHES See All
- Creamed Corn Soup
- Seared Sea Scallops, Citrus, Potato, Lemon Buerre Blanc
- Seared Sea Scallops - Pork Belly, Beets, Eggplant, Passion Fruit
- Branzino - Vine Tomatoes, Fennel, Artichoke, Cockles, Yuzu
- Canada Lobster Tail vs. Berkshire Pork Belly - Summer Squash, Porcini Mushrooms, Cape Goose Berries, Jura Wine, almond Emulsion
- Colorado Lamb Loin - Tuscan Kale, Black Garlic, Lima & Cranberry Beans, Cherry Tomato Confit
- Diver Sea Scallop “Sandwich” - Seared Foie Gras, Sugar Snap Peas, Passion Fruit, Chives
- Pastrami Pork Belly Sliders
- Aureole Grilled Burger, Applewood Smoked Bacon, Aged Cheddar, Caramelized Onions, Pickled Ramp Dressing, Side of French Fries
- Crispy Crepes