Fook Lam Moon - Wan Chai
Hong Kong is one of the wealthiest cities in the world (on Hong Kong Island, one in 7 are millionaires), but Fook Lam Moon is known for attracting a particularly affluent clientele (though, on the nights we were there, it seemed mainly to attract unruly children). The local media refers to it as 富豪飯堂, the cafeteria for the wealthy. This is surely due in some measure to the menu’s focus on Cantonese delicacies, such as premium Japanese abalone, shark’s fin soup and bird’s nest with bamboo. It is easy for prices to spiral out of control; even the (admittedly great) wok-fried lobster costs $150 USD.
The design is moderately upscale but, with its low coffered ceilings and serviceable décor, it gives no indication of its status as a feeding ground for whales. The food is very good although not commensurate with many other similarly priced restaurants in the city. Char-grilled pork char siu is fatty and delicious, and Fook Lam Moon’s “famous crispy chicken”, which comes expertly cooked and crisped with a divine lemon sauce, is famous for a reason. Happiness at your door, indeed.
35-45 Johnston Road, Wanchai
+852 2866-0663 Mon-Sun, 11:30am-3pm, 6pm-11pm
- Chui Wai Kwan, Chef
- Hong Kong
- Dim Sum
- BYOB Corkage Fee: $300HKD
- Private Dining Room
- Tasting Menu
- Michelin Guide : ★ (2015)
- Zagat : 26 (2008) Review History...
RECOMMENDED DISHES See All
- Baked Stuffed Crab
- Exclusive dried aged japanese abalone braised in Fook Lam Moon's stock
- Fresh lobster (wok-fried, sautéed with Fook Lam Moon’s stock or black bean and chili sauce)
- Deep-fried fillet of fresh garoupa with sweet corn sauce
- Char-grilled pork "char siu"
- Char-grilled crispy pork belly
- Roast Suckling Pig Two Ways – Crispy Skin and Succulent Meat
- Fook Lam Moon's famous crispy chicken
- Sweetened double boiled bird's nest in whole fresh coconut
- Deep-fried spare ribs (in garlic and chili or sweet and sour sauce)
- Fried rice with assorted meat and conpoy wrapped in lotus leaf
- Fried rice with crab meat, conpoy and egg white